Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting engages and empowers the public through investigative journalism and groundbreaking storytelling that sparks action, improves lives, and protects our democracy. The Reveal website, public radio program, podcast and social media platforms are where we publish our multi-platform work. We are regularly recognized for our excellence, creativity, and impact.
Reveal is looking for a Digital Designer and Producer to improve and support the design of Reveal’s multimedia platforms. You will be collaborating with our design and visuals editor on laying out beautiful stories for the web. You will be working with our reporters and editors on finding effective and compelling ways to visualize their investigations.
The ideal candidate will use their knowledge of design fundamentals to create web pages, social media graphics, and other digital products to represent Reveal. They are passionate about the intersection of design and storytelling, looking to other publications for inspiration. Years of experience are not as important to us as an eye for digital design, web production proficiency and project management skills. Recent graduates, designers making an industry change and veteran designers are all encouraged to apply.
Skills we are looking for:
- Sophisticated grasp of visual design (typography, hierarchy, color and white space) and common tools like PhotoShop, InDesign, Illustrator, XD, After Effects, Sketch
- Proficiency in HTML & CSS, particularly in a CMS like WordPress
- Outstanding time and project management skills, with experience leading people to consensus on design needs
- Newsroom and editorial experience
- Illustration, animation, photography, data visualization skills
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Laying out editorial content on our CMS and publishing it, from simple quickturn posts to complex longform stories
- Coordinating visual assets and text between editors, reporters and the copy desk
- Creating and/or selecting lead art and social media graphics for our stories
- Working on improving the codebase of our site with our external team of web developers
- Compiling design assets and guidelines into a pattern library
What you should send us:
- Please send a link to your portfolio or three links to projects that you’ve worked on.
- In your cover letter, be sure to detail:
- your approach to those projects,
- what tools you used, and how you saw those projects to completion,
- why you are interested in working at Reveal
- and your compensation requirements.
This describes everything we are looking for. Our newsroom is successful because of the sum of its parts – we recognize that no one person will be equally strong in every area and that some candidates will bring other strengths or experiences that we haven’t described here. If you are passionate about our work and have a vision to share with us, please apply. We will carefully consider every serious applicant.
Our organization has a strong commitment to diversity. We are an equal opportunity employer and will develop a diverse candidate pool for this position. We expect candidates to share our vision for bringing new journalistic voices to the national stage and reporting stories from underrepresented communities.This position is full time and offers competitive wages and benefits. Remote candidates are encouraged to apply.