CIR is looking for a full-time First Amendment Fellow to join our legal department. This one-year paid position will allow the fellow the chance to work closely, as an associate, with in-house counsel.
Responsibilities will include working alongside CIR’s General Counsel to assist with:
- Reviewing articles, podcasts, and documentaries prior to publication.
- Researching newsgathering questions.
- Helping reporters file public records requests and writing appeal letters.
- Assisting with filing and litigating freedom of information requests and court-access cases, defending libel suits, and providing support on other litigation.
- Reviewing and editing amicus briefs.
- Researching intellectual property matters.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 1-3 years of experience. We would also welcome a 2020 law school graduate.
- An outstanding academic record with excellent research and writing skills.
- An exceptional ability to work with staff.
- A demonstrated deep interest in media law and the First Amendment.
- A great sense of humor and collegial attitude.
- The ability to multitask and work under pressure to meet deadlines.
This position is full time, based in Emeryville, CA, and offers competitive wages and benefits. Admission to the California bar by January 2021 is required. Preference will be given to students with public interest funding. The fellowship is designed to be both a learning and work experience for a new lawyer excited about media law and the First Amendment. Please note that the position is not budgeted to lead to employment after one year.
To apply, please email your resume, cover letter, and one letter of recommendation to email@example.com by November 30, 2019.