Reveal, the national public radio show and podcast from The Center for Investigative Reporting and PRX, is looking for an experienced reporter-producer.
We combine bulletproof investigations with top-notch narrative storytelling. The reporter-producer will work with our newsroom, along with contributors from public radio stations and other news organizations across the country, to weave together intriguing stories with compelling characters, excellent audio and unexpected twists – all leading up to the reveal.
- Report and produce original narrative and character-driven investigative stories.
- Identify characters, scenes and questions that produce great tape and stories.
- Work in a variety of formats and use different audio production techniques to create segments that maximize and amplify the potential of an investigation (two-ways, tape talks, documentary, non-narrated montage, interviews with host, etc.).
- Assist reporters in the field while gathering tape and interviews for the show.
- Write, edit tape and structure stories.
- Work with Reveal editors to craft scripts to meet editorial standards.
- Travel on a regular basis (up to 25 percent of your time) to gather audio material for national stories. Hold a valid passport and be available to travel abroad if required.
- Contribute to the unique brand identity, voice, style and spirit of Reveal by actively participating in team story planning and overall show development.
- Work productively and positively with the host of Reveal to develop his role in each story.
- Strategize with CIR digital, engagement and impact teams to maximize the reach and impact of stories.
- Contribute to a creative workplace culture that focuses on impact and highlights innovative approaches to storytelling.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in reporting for radio at the national level.
- Ability to build and edit audio sessions in Pro Tools.
- Familiarity with broadcast recording equipment and experience operating in a radio studio with or without an engineer.
- Competitive editorial drive that thrives on originality and pushing the boundaries of creativity and storytelling.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain the highest journalistic standards under deadline pressure.
- Understanding of the dynamics of investigative reporting and how to work productively with collaborators.
- Passion for being a team player and building a new model for investigative storytelling.
Our organization has a strong commitment to diversity. We are an equal opportunity employer and will develop a diverse candidate pool for this position. We expect candidates to share our vision for bringing new journalistic voices to the national stage and reporting stories from underrepresented communities.
This position is full time, based in Emeryville, CA, or Washington D.C., and offers competitive wages and benefits. The closing date for this position is Feb. 11, 2019. We are no longer accepting applications for this position.