Reveal’s Local Labs initiative supports lasting investigative reporting collaborations in communities across the United States.
The mission is to build partnerships across platforms and local institutions – including newspapers, radio, television and ethnic media, as well as key community-based institutions that can deepen the reach and impact of deeply reported investigative projects.
We have three goals:
- Deliver high-impact investigative reporting.
- Develop an enduring spirit of collaboration among local newsrooms.
- Engage community stakeholders from the outset to help inform the journalism being produced.
We are currently working on collaborations in two cities. In San Jose, California, we’ve brought together NBC Bay Area, Telemundo Área de la Bahía, KQED, The Mercury News, Renaissance Journalism, and Big Local. In New Orleans, the Local Labs collaboration includes FOX 8 WVUE, WWNO New Orleans Public Radio and Nola.com | The Times-Picayune.
Here’s the plan for each collaboration:
- Identify willing newsroom partners and help them hone in on an investigative project that is especially meaningful to their community.
- Enlist the public’s help during one or more community events so that reporters and editors can better understand the stakes involved.
- Produce at least three investigative stories.
This year, we’ll take what we’ve learned about fostering collaborations to two more areas. Reach out to collaborations manager Sumi Aggarwal at firstname.lastname@example.org if you think we should come to your community.